Since 1988 the SBPT, working with local councils, conservation organisations and community trusts, has restored and converted a number of important historic buildings:
Click on the images to find out more
Rook Lane Chapel,
A former non-conformist chapel, built in 1707 by James Pope, it closed in 1968 and was badly vandalised. The Grade 1 listed building now provides a community facility for exhibitions, receptions, meetings and concerts, with offices on the upper floor. It is also licensed for weddings.
This 18th century folly on the Halswell Park Estate is a replica of the Temple of Fortuna Virilis in Rome. Designed by Thomas Prowse, with features by Robert Adam, it became derelict and was used as a cattle shelter. It is now open to the public on Sunday afternoons in the summer.
Robin Hood's Hut, Goathurst
By the time SBPT came upon Robin Hood’s Hut it had no roof or windows and had lost much of its plasterwork. The Grade II listed building is now owned by the Landmark Trust and is available as a holiday let. This restoration won a commendation in the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Awards in 2005.
St Margaret's Almshouses, Taunton
Founded as a leper hospital in the 12th century this single storey, thatched building was later used as almshouses. From the late 1980s it stood empty and suffered from vandalism and neglect with the thatched roof being set on fire. The Grade II listed building now provides four units of social housing.
Built in the 18th century by the Parrett Navigation Company, this building was abandoned when the river became unnavigable. SBPT worked with Ecos Trust, English Heritage and local councils to redevelop it into a craft, heritage learning and small business centre. It is Grade II listed.